[Digikam-users] DigiKam on windows instability

David Kerber dkerber at miner.mst.edu
Wed Aug 25 01:50:53 BST 2010

Paul Verizzo wrote:
> I've all but given up using digiKam on Windows.  The path via KDE on
> Windows is cumbersome, inefficient, and to this non-Linux guy,
> completely inscrutable.  (Why MUST I download scientific games and
> tools, for instance?)  Further, digiKam is now several
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.  Definitely not the philosophy I
expected from a Linux-originated project.

> releases along and as of a week or two ago, KDE for Win is just
> snoozing.  Last update was in February.
>
> The problems I typically get are crashes with a "Runtime Error"
> message, especially when trying to save a modified file.  I also can't
> get thumbnails for 48 bit images that I make from film scans although
> Picassa has no trouble making its own.  The scan system has caused
> many crashes when I first set things up.  I eventually found that a
> folder that contained some non jpg-tiff-etc files made it blow up.
I've found that as long as I'm not trying to move files around, it seems
to be pretty stable.  Today I was doing a bunch of tagging without
moving the files, and it worked fine:  no crashes, and quick and
responsive even on my middle-aged hardware.

> But I do love digiKam when it works!  So much so, that I spent dozens
> of hours trying to do things like install that Ubuntu program that
> uses Windows (didn't work on two computers), tried it running live
> CD's, and Virtual Box (head banging trying to get it to read the files
> on the native Windows partition. I gave up on that, too.
A partial Linux machine was going to be my next try.  I've got a new box
coming in that will have the horsepower to either dual-boot Debian and
Windows, or run one of them in a vm inside the other.  However, I still
have to decide which I want to be the host and which the guest.

> So maybe in the next week I'll take an old Windows 2000 box I have,
> install Ubuntu or other distro, and use my KBV switch for the monitor
> and keyboard that I use on "The Mothership."  I'll still have to deal
> with the image files remaining on the Windows box where they
> automatically get backed up by Carbonite.   Does anyone know if
> digiKam running on LInux can read and scan the files on Windows via
> the usual ethernet?
It will on wiindows with no trouble; I already tried that, but haven't
tried it under Linux.

> digiKam is the best similar program out there, bar none.  And the
> price is right!  I just wish it didn't have to run on KDE.  Xnview, a
> less capable but very nice "Irfanview with browser" level, can run on
> Windows, Linux, or Mac.
Thanks for the comments!