[Digikam-users] Hierarchical tags

David Kerber dkerber at miner.mst.edu
Sat Aug 14 16:47:53 BST 2010

Running digiKam 1.1.0 on KDE for Windows 4.4.00, on Windows XP SP3.

I've been working no cataloging my 2000 or so images from my camera, and
am coming across something that's a bit confusing:

I have hierarchical tags, in this case a top-level tag Birds, and
several sub-tags for different species, such as Cardinal, Chickadee,
Woodpecker, etc.  I would have thought that if I assign a tag from a
lower level (Cardinal, for example), that it would also find it under
the upper level when I do a search, but that doesn't seem to be
happening.  For example, if I assign just the tag "Cardinal" to an
image, I would have though that a search for a "Birds" tag would also
find the Cardinal image, but it doesn't seem to be doing so.  It appears
that I have to assign both the parent and the child tags for it to be
found in a search for the parent tag.

Is there an option I can change to get the search to work this way, or
is that just the way  it's written right now?

Thanks!