[Digikam-users] Massive caching really necessary?

Stedtlund falolaf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:51:36 BST 2010

Hi,

Whenever an album is selected there seems to be some caching happening
in the background. I assume it's the thumbnails. Is that correct?  I
have enabled the option to show images from all sub albums when
selecting an album. This means that when I select the root album, all
my images will be shown. At this point this will be just over 11000
images. With this scenario digiKam will allocate 75% of my ram. If I
have other applications open, swaping will hit in and the system will
be sluggish. I have 3GB of ram. What happens if I have 22000 images,
or more...

If another album is selected, digiKam will still be using 75% of my
ram, even if there's only 1 image shown in the new selected album. The
only way to release that memory is to restart digiKam.

My question is if this massive use of ram really is needed or
feasible? There must be better algorithms to use for this?

This behaviour was mentioned some weeks ago (by me) in another thread,
but I think it needs it's own atention.

I'm using digiKam 1.3.0 with openSUSE 11.3, 64 bit.

/Anders