[Digikam-users] Multiple, overlapping tag types?

David Kerber dkerber at miner.mst.edu
Thu Aug 12 15:38:11 BST 2010

I'm trying to find a low cost picture organizer that will meet my needs,
and am coming up empty, but it looks like digikam is close.  Can
somebody tell me if I'm missing something in the docs?

What I need is to be able to put a picture in multiple disjoint groups.
  For example, I might have a group called "flowers" and a  group called
"bugs".  A closeup of a bug on a flower would be entered into both
groups.  Then I need to be able to search for "flowers", or  "bugs", and
this picture would show up both searches.  If I were to search on
"'flowers' AND 'bugs'", this might be the only picture that shows up.

Can digikam do this right now?  If not, does anybody know of a low-cost
(free is nice, open source is nicer, but I will accept commercial if
it's not too expensive) app that will do it?

Failing both, what language is digikam written in?  If it's something I
know, I might be able to work up a patch (though depending on the code's
internal architecture, it might be a lot more than just a code patch!!).

TIA!