[Digikam-users] Dragging images from digikam album view to Nautilus removes the original

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Fri Apr 23 15:37:54 BST 2010

OK, have 1.2.0 installed now, thanks for the heads up.

The behavior is the same--dragging image from album to nautilus will
remove the original.

I can appreciate KDE/Gnome incompatibilities as being potentially
responsible for this behavior, but don't you agree that it would be
better if in a mixed environment the behavior on both sides should be
the consevative action?  In this case, if it's not clear if the action
is a "move" or "copy" then do the copy, and not do the deletion?  I'm a
programmer from way back, but I won't try to pretend I understand the
protocol between apps when drag and drops happen.  I think it would be
nice, however, if a program could be "defensive" and have the final say
over whether it's supposed to delete content, regardless of what another
app is asking it to do.

Practicality, I think, should tell us that what I did (drag an object
from digikam album to nautilus) is probably pretty commonplace.  Most
users don't really know or care about KDE/Gnome environments.
Furthermore, I think people who are going to drag from digikam to a USB
drive are not going to expect the original to be deleted.  In fact, I
have a bit of the heebie-jeebies thinking about possible images I might
have dragged and accidentally deleted in the past.

Do you guys define this as a bug?  If so, I'll be happy to fill in a bug
report or whatever.

-rei