[Digikam-users] how do I get the photos into Albums?

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Sat Apr 17 23:17:45 BST 2010

From: Dick Angus [rja-linux at shaw.ca]
Sent: Sunday, 18 April 2010 5:28 AM
To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source
Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] how do I get the photos into Albums?

On April 17, 2010 09:23:18 am Gracia M. Littauer wrote:

>> On Saturday 17 April 2010 03:00:05 pm FireFly wrote:

>> > Albums are just folders/directories, so wherever you told DigiKam to

>> > store your photos, if you make a folder and put some pictures in it, it

>> > should appear in DigiKam.

>> i know you don't know my background & it's hard to explain. I have used a

>> computer for 25 years, starting with an Amiga, so I'm well versed in dirs.

>> I have over 1000 photos in different dirs. I just haven't got a clue HOW

>> to let digikam know where they are. and use them.

>Put all those dirs under a top level dir called Photos, Pictures, Albums, or something like that. Open Digikam and make this top->level dir the albums location and Digikam will do everything else.

In version 1.1.0, to set the album location, look in Settings/Configure digiKam/Collections.  Depending on your version, you can add more than one "collection", i.e. subtree of folders.  If you have them in lots of locations, it might be smart to collect them up and put those folders under one folder so you don't have to specify lots of collections.

If you're going to be tagging all your images, I would also look at the metadata section of Configure digiKam, and make sure at least image tags will be saved in the images.  Otherwise the tagging only exists in the digiKam database, and you have no backup if digiKam doesn't work out for you.

There's a handbook, if you haven't found it already, linked to on the documentation page (http://www.digikam.org/drupal/docs).  It's well worth having this pdf on your computer for reference before you get going.