[Digikam-users] Which File system should be used for storage on various OSes ?

David Talmage talmage at acm.org
Sat Apr 10 15:45:35 BST 2010

> Which file system would you use to use to store you photographs on a new
> external disk ? ( i need to erase disk as it is brand new). This disk is going
> to be used by 3 different operating systems : linux, windows and os x.

AFAIK, NTFS is available for all three. My Ubuntu netbook reads and writes NTFS. OS X Snow Leopard can read NTFS. I can attest that it works for my Mac Mini. You can also make it write NTFS. Google gave me simple instructions that I haven't tried that yet.

I am unaware of read-write support for ext[234] in OS X or Windows.

If it's any help, I use a Netgear ReadyNAS to share files on my home network. It supports all of the major protocols (NFS, CIFS, AFP). The SPARC-based ones are inexpensive but slow and the Intel-based ones like my NVX are fast enough but expensive.