[Digikam-users] I want to put photos on a server and then see them and maintained by another computer

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Apr 6 21:18:27 BST 2010

Am Dienstag, 6. April 2010 schrieb Peter Shute:
> What will happen if the user starts DigiKam when the server is
> offline?

It is the wrong way of thinking. If this is a regular scenario
(net-/notebook) and you can or will not use vpn you have to use a
synchronizing mechanism (like unison or rsync). all those server side
stuff does not make is easier.

Set up a sync at login and logoff if you are connected to your server.
Only the newer files will get synced. This will slow down your
login/logoff time, but this is the only way to get all fotos and the
database up to date even if you are offline. Windows Pro btw has it
build in and it is time for linux (or KDE) to get something similar.

For example: sync your home drive and your main foto drive via rsync
from the server at login and sync it back to the server at logout
makes your foto editing much faster and you are independent from the
server in between. And your digikam database will not get corrupt if
your NFS server fails during runtime of digikam.

Martin