[Digikam-users] Interoperating with iPhoto

David Lee davidomundo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 08:34:07 BST 2009

Hey guys,

I wanted to use digikam along with iPhoto on a common image library that's
located on an external harddrive. Currently, the library is an iPhoto library
that my wife uses with her Macbook. We share the external harddrive, and
sometimes, I would like to access the images in the iPhoto library with my
computer, which runs KDE.

I was wondering how much interoperability is currently possible with digikam.
I would like to avoid importing the entire iPhoto library onto a separate
digikam library. I guess I would still need to have a separate digikam
metadata database, but I'm not sure how well that would play with the iPhoto
metadata/index.

What would happen when I already have a digikam metadata database set up, and
my wife edits/deletes/adds an image using iPhoto? What would happen for my
wife's iPhoto if I edit/delete/add a photo using digikam?

--David