[Digikam-users] How do I set up Digikam for network access by multiple users ?

David Moran david at waveproductions.net
Tue Sep 15 17:39:42 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to store my images on a networked hard drive.  I want my wife to
> be able to access them from her *cough* Windows XP *cough* computer and
> me from my Fedora machine.  We don't need simultaneous access.
>
> How do set this up ?
>
> The reason I ask this question is because when I open Digikam->
> Settings-> Configure Digikam -> Collections -> Database File Path, I see
> "Note a remote file system, such as NFS, cannot be used here."
>
> Thanks

Do you need access to the database file remotely as well? As in, does
your wife use Digikam on her Windows machine? If not, then you can
just have the DB file local on your machine and the pictures on a
network share.

For Fedora, I use a CIFS share to access my network drives with my
pictures. It is mounted at boot through the fstab file, and it works
just fine in Digikam.

In Windows, you could mount a network share as a drive and have it
point to where your pictures are.

David