[Digikam-users] Camera ICC profiles in digiKam

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Mon Sep 7 07:42:03 BST 2009

Hello,

has anyone some experience with preparing a custom camera ICC profile
with digiKam (RAW import tool), current svn version?

I am struggling with three matters:

1) Impossibility to set white-balance manually by clicking on the white
patch of the image.

2) Automatic setting of black and white level.

3) Unclear behaviour of colour management settings.

While the first point can be overcome with a little trial and error and
the issue seems to be already on a to-do list of Gilles, the others look
difficult.

The "solid white" setting seems to cut-off some percentage of white
(leading to slight over-exposure).

The "unclip" leaves the white patches far to maximal white level, due to
some other whiter places on image out-side of the IT8.7 chart. (I could
possibly take a picture of the chart again to solve this.)

Also, the black level is probably set automatically.

For the preparation of the image for characterisation, I chose "none" as
camera profile and "raw (linear)" as the output profile, however, the
output image looks like gamma corrected.

Finally, applying the generated profile leads to image with extreme
contrast.

P.S. I tested also my profiles prepared in UFRaw, but they have turned
out quickly as unusable - I prepared them for linear RGB data, while
digiKam (or libkdcraw?) seems to apply gamma before assigning the camera
profile.

Thanks and regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz