[Digikam-users] Microstock and IPTC

Leonardo Giordani giordani.leonardo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 18:28:25 BST 2009

Hi all,

since I'm trying to enter the microstock market I'would like to ask if
someone of you has experience in this field (with digiKam of course :) ) and
expecially if you can provide me some advice on IPTC tags. In particular:

1. What tags are needed (or almost useful) and where to find them on digikam
IPTC editor: for example I know that TITLE is a needed tag but I do not find
it; the first tag I find is Content|Summary, and do not know if they are the
same.

2. Is it possible to tag multiple images at once? For example I shoot 20
photos in the same location: if I select all the photos and try to edit IPTC
tags I just get two additional "Previous" and "Next" button to navigate the
list of selected images but cannot set all of them on the fly.

3. Looking on microstock web sites I see that photos are also well
categorized by content  with a taxonomy: for example see this Fotolia image
http://www.fotolia.com/id/16535435 (a random one), where Representative
Category is set to Landscape>Water>Lake/Pond and Conceptual Category to
Leisure>Holiday>Tourism. Are those IPTC categories or Fotolia ones? In the
first case how can I set them? In the IPTC editor I found a "Subject
Information" tab, but the navigation through standard reference codes is not
usable (too many codes, it is not hierarchical).

Thank you in advance

Leonardo