[Digikam-users] Display calibration and profiling

Ricardo Amézquita ramezquitao at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:46:25 BST 2009

I’m quite new at photography and I’m trying to setup a color managed work
flow, but there is something I don’t understand. Maybe this have been asked
before, but I haven't found a clear answer in the list, so here it goes.

I just got an Eye One Display and I used it to calibrate and profile my
screen using Linux. I can load the profile using dispwin, and I can see the
difference in the appearance of my photos. I can also load this profile in
Digikam, and I can see the difference between Color Managed View on and off.
What is not clear for me is if I have to load the profile using dispwin and
turn  Color Managed View on at the same time. I assume that any program not
using color management output the image in an standard RGB color space (I
assumed it to be sRGB, but there is no reason why this must be the case),
and that the X server with a loaded color profile would correct this image
to show it right to on the display. I also assume that if the program is
color aware, I can activate the color management for the program, and it
would correct the image and show the image fine on an X server without color
profile loaded. But what I don’t know is what would happen if I load a color
profile in the X server and I select color management for the display in
Digikam. Will the correction be applied twice?.

I have done some tests doing

- profile loaded with dispwin, Color management Off

- profile cleared with dispwin, Color management On

- profile loaded with dispwin, Color management Off

and in all cases my images look different, meaning that my assumptions are
wrong.

Can any one please explain me what is the correct way to set up my system?

Regards

Ricardo