[Digikam-users] Multiple album roots - what's the point?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Sep 4 14:29:37 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 02:37:59PM +0200, Anders Troberg wrote:
> Ah, OK. For me, the multiple root is mostly a way to spread data over several disks, to avoid running out of space.

I suppose it can do that but in this day and age of 1Tb disk drives
that isn't often necessary is it?

> May I suggest that you get a bigger screen? :)

My screen is quite big enough already!  :-)   It's a 20" running at
1600x1200.

It's not really the *space* occupied by those extra albums but the
messiness and distraction.  Instead of just seeing the stuff I want
there are other bits which tend to appear at random because their
initial letters, not surprisingly, don't follow any useful logic.

Using directories/folders on my computer (rather than digikam) I'd
simply 'cd scans' and an 'ls' would just show me my scans albums with
no distraction.  Similarly 'cd documents' and 'ls' would show me my
documents directories and nothing else.  If I had web pages organised
in the same sort of hierarchy then I'd get the same sort of
separation.

It *can* be done with digikam by wrapping a script around the startup
and using multiple digikamrc files but it's a bit of a bodge and it
doesn't seem as if it would be difficult to build it into digikam.

All that's needed is a comamnd line option to set the root album path.

Chris Green