[Digikam-users] Multiple album roots - what's the point?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Sep 4 13:05:11 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 12:30:11PM +0200, Anders Troberg wrote:
> Maybe you can't look at just one of them, but you should be able to separate them logically by making the hierarchy deeper. Example:
>
> Instead of having:
>
> Album_root_1/photofolder_1
> Album_root_1/photofolder_2
> Album_root_2/scanfolder_1
> Album_root_2/scanfolder_2
>
> you have:
>
> Album_root_1/photos/photofolder_1
> Album_root_1/photos/photofolder_2
> Album_root_2/scans/scanfolder_1
> Album_root_2/scans/scanfolder_2
>
> That should put things in a nice hierarchy, somewhat like:
>
> photos
>   photofolder_1
>   photofolder_2
> scans
>   scanfolder_1
>   scanfolder_2
>
> Is that close enough?

I could do that with the old digikam, nothing's new really.

As far as I can see the only change is that all the 'bits' (i.e.
albums) no longer have to be rooted at the same place.

What I want is the ability to be able to completely hide hierarchies
so they don't distract me from the current one.  I.e. if I used your
example when I'm looking at photofolder_1 there is still a top-level
scans folder which is always there wasting some space in the sidebar.

In my case if I'm dealing with my 'pictures' album I don't want to
have to see the other bits and pieces I have, e.g. :-

    forSale, Ebay, Freecycle, etc.
    Document scans, etc.
    Short term, temporary, etc.

As it is at present I'm *forced* to see these at the top level
alongside the albums which make up my 'Pictures', what I want to see
is just my year by year albums with no others wasting space.

> I've not tested this yet, so big disclaimer that I don't know for sure if it would give the desired result.

Chris Green