[Digikam-users] Metadata Storage in digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:48:27 BST 2009

2009/10/20 Thomas <verwaltung at zentrumdermacht.net>:
> Hello Digikam experts,
>
> thank you for your great Photo Management Software, I'm looking forward to
> using it in the future. (Until now, I used Picasa on Debian stable because it
> was the only application able to read my ARW files out of the box.)
>
> I have a few questions concerning the "Embedded Image information Management"-
> Section of digikam's settings-dialogue. I looked at the documentation, but it
> seems outdated here (with pictures showing KDE3).
>
> So here's the problem: With Picasa and Adobe Bridge, I added several captions
> to my pictures and would very much like to keep them. As far as I know these
> programs store them in IPTC tags. If I select "Save image tags as keyword
> tags" now and import my tagged pictures, will all of Picasa's captions really
> be lost? This is how I understood the warning in the documentation but it's
> hard to believe.

In theory, no.

Modern application (as digiKam) use XMP now to store information.
There are copied as it can do in IPTC, but due to limitations (char
encoding + strings size), this way is prohibited now.

To import metadata from IPTC, there is a wrapper in digiKam core.
Please test with current implementation from svn, or at least
1.0.0-beta5, where this code has been improved since 0.10.0

If something is wrong, all is possible to improve it. We just need
original image to test in local with the detaisl of informations
hosted in images.