[Digikam-users] Metadata Storage in digikam

Thomas verwaltung at zentrumdermacht.net
Tue Oct 20 21:41:59 BST 2009

Hello Digikam experts,

thank you for your great Photo Management Software, I'm looking forward to
using it in the future. (Until now, I used Picasa on Debian stable because it
was the only application able to read my ARW files out of the box.)

I have a few questions concerning the "Embedded Image information Management"-
Section of digikam's settings-dialogue. I looked at the documentation, but it
seems outdated here (with pictures showing KDE3).

So here's the problem: With Picasa and Adobe Bridge, I added several captions
to my pictures and would very much like to keep them. As far as I know these
programs store them in IPTC tags. If I select "Save image tags as keyword
tags" now and import my tagged pictures, will all of Picasa's captions really
be lost? This is how I understood the warning in the documentation but it's
hard to believe.

Some other questions also occured: Which of the options in the Dialogue
"Allgemeine Metadaten-Aktionen" (General Metadata Information) concern IPTC-
Data and how? What does "Bildstichwörter in Schlüsselwörtern speichern" (Save
picture keywords in keywords) mean exactly, which Keywords are to be stored to
which other keywords? Does the experimental feature "Metadaten in Rohdateien
speichern" (Save metadata in raw files) refer to DNG-negatives (only)?

Sorry to bother you with these questions. If you could point me to an updated
help page, I'd be very glad, too.

Thanks in advance, and keep on the good work!
Thomas