[Digikam-users] Monitor calibration hw/sw for linux?

Dennis Meulensteen dennis at meulensteen.nl
Tue Oct 20 07:57:20 BST 2009

> I've got an LG monitor with a white balance settings called 'sRGB'. Does anybody know, or think, that by using this I could avoid the need for calibration and colour management, provided I always work in SRGB colour space?
>
> Mark

Most monitors are tuned to sRGB out of the box. It is the industry standard for consumer monitors, graphics cards and, dare I say, OSes.

This means everything should be in the ball park right out of the box.

Nerd > /dev/null 2>&1

Here's what I do: Take a picture with your digicam, preferably one using the whole histogram with lots of different colours, skin tones and such. Send it off to have it printed in a largish format specifying "no adjustments whatsoever"! Then get the resulting print and check to see where the monitor picture and the print differ. Adjust the knobs and dials on your monitor until your built in stereo optical colorimeter tells you they are as close as they'll ever get. Presto, you now have an end to end color calibrated system set up. It may be less easy to tweak, requiring actual foot work to do, but it works if your printer (or printing service) can deliver consistent results. I've done 12 large pictures for an exhibition this way and never had a single complaint about the colour being off.

Dennis