[Digikam-users] Cannot save image edits to NAS with dK 1.0.0 beta 5

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Fri Nov 27 19:23:30 GMT 2009

On one of my computers I use digKam 0.9.3 with Ubuntu 8.04 and it works great!
My only complaint is that this version of digiKam cannot work with network
files so I have to create a symbolic link from a local directory to the
network files which are located on a D-link DNS-323, and I cannot have more
than one collection.

With the release of Ubuntu 9.10, I installed it on another computer (which has
a faster processor) and installed digiKam 1.0.0 beta 5 from the Ubuntu
repositories.

digiKam's new ability to work with external files is a welcome change, thank
you,  but I have found two problems, one of them serious:

1.  I cannot save images edited with digiKam on the NAS.  When I attempt to
save an image I get an error message such as the following example:

"Error digiKam
Failed to save file
Racoon2 Crop.jpg
"/media/RAID/Photos/Creatures/Racoon2 Crop.jpg""

The NAS files are auto-mounted at start-up through an entry in fstab and the
mount point is "/media/RAID/Photos"

I have tried to edit and save a file using GIMP and that works so I assume the
problem lies within digiKam.

2. The second problem is not as severe, but when digiKam starts on this
computer the scan time to bring up the same set of images from the time the
splash screen appears to the time the first image screen appears is 57
seconds.  This is after the initial scan associated with the new
installation.

On digikam 0.9.3, the time from when the scan screen first appears until the
first image screen appears is 10 seconds.  And this is on a slower computer.

Can anyone shine any light on either of these issues?
I am particularly concerned about not being able to save edits with digiKam
1.0.0.

Thanks
Mac