[Digikam-users] Colours, digikam and firefox

Alastair Burt burt at dfki.de
Mon Nov 23 19:56:29 GMT 2009

Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> Please please if you use color management use digikam 1.0!
> In certain older version a sRGB profile with a wrong white point was
> shipped.

I did not really want to use colour management, as I do not understand
it and have no idea what any of my devices support. But even with colour
management turned off in digikam/showfoto settings, it seems I am
getting an icc profile added to my files. I briefly looked at digikam
1.0 beta, but there are no precompiled binaries, and my standard kubuntu
system does not have the development files installed to compile it from
scratch.

In the end, I discovered that image magick can patch my problem for the
time being. "convert +profile icc" will remove the profile that showfoto
adds and the resulting files appear normal in firefox and gimp. I will
use that solution until digikam 1.0 goes more mainstream. Thanks to
you guys on the list for helping me track this down.

-- Alastair