[Digikam-users] How to make a new top-level album?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 16 15:45:55 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:36:33PM +0000, Jim MacLeod wrote:
> Chris G wrote:

> >> Create a new directory eg /home/../album2.
> >> Go to Settings/Configure/Collections, click on 'add collection' and
> >> select /home/../album2.
> >>
> >> Now when you start Digikam you can select which album you want, the other
> >> will be 'hidden'. I think this may be as good as it gets. Anything beyond
> >> this would require changing the config file.

> > That's not how it seems to work for me, if it *was* how it worked I'd
> > be very happy!
> >
> > I have my digikam with its top level album in /home/chris/pictures.
> > If I add "/tmp/pictures" and select that in "Add Collection" I just
> > get *both* /home/chris/pictures and /tmp/pictures in My Albums.
> >
> > I can't select either /home/chris/pictures or /tmp/pictures when
> > digikam is started and have the other hidden.
> >
> I'm guessing that the only way to truly separate them would be to have two
> totally individual config files so that there was no link at all between
> them. However that need some method of activating the relevant config file
> before starting digikam.

Changing the config file has its problems - hence my recent E-Mail
about it.

I have come up with a fairly reasonable solution - launch digikam from
a script which changes the HOME environment variable before running
digikam.  E.g. I have:-

    #!/bin/bash

    export HOME=/home/chris/photo2

    /usr/bin/digikam

Digikam then starts up and creates a new KDE configuration hierarchy
in /home/chris/photo2 giving me a completely independent digikam which
still has its configuration and data in my home directory.

--
Chris Green