[Digikam-users] Moving IPTC data to the comment field

David Moran david at waveproductions.net
Tue Nov 3 20:36:35 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:54 AM, David Moran <david at waveproductions.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Micha? Smoczyk <admin at nocnyrzepin.net> wrote:
>> Hi David, digiKam cannot do this (yet) using Queue batch manager,
>> but I think it will be possible via scripting ExifTool or Exiv2
>> (note that Exiv2 cannot write some RAW files, for example Canon CR2).
>>
>> But, why you want to /move/ this information? These geolocation
>> names fields are designed to keep such information. Or did you mean
>> /copy/ those information to comment? Cheers,
>
> Thanks, I will take a look into creating some bash magic using one of
> those tools. I did mean copy as I want the location names as a caption
> when I upload to Smugmug.
>
> David

I used ExifTool to create my captions from the IPTC location data. I'm
now running into an issue of digiKam reading those captions back. I've
even used ExifTool to copy the captions to all of the tags that
digiKam writes captions to, but to no avail. Am I missing some sort of
refresh step to get the captions written by ExifTool read back into
digiKam?

Thanks,
David