[Digikam-users] Dark Images for 16-bit raw and reconstructed highlights

Alex Tutubalin lexa at lexa.ru
Thu May 7 08:00:46 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm not  digikam-users@ member, so this message will be rejected from
list. Hope, you'll receive personal copies.

LibRaw do _all_ processing in 16 bit. 16->8-bit conversion is made on
final output stage. So, you should not see any difference (plus-minus
8/16 bit quality issues) for 8/16 bit modes.

On the other side, highlights recovery WILL darker entire image:  you
lower highlights values (to see details instead of clipped pixels), so
you need to lower all other tones to preserve tonal correlations