[Digikam-users] Color management behaviour

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Fri Jun 19 20:08:21 BST 2009

Hi Francisco,

Francisco Lorés Ara píše v Pá 19. 06. 2009 v 19:05 +0200:
> There are in fact a pair of ICC profiles, one for sRGB color space and
> one for
> AdobeRGB color space, for each picture style available
>

> Faithful: fs.icc, fa.icc
> Landscape: ls.icc, la.icc
> Neutral: ns.icc, na.icc
> Standard: ss.icc, sa.icc
> Portrait: ps.icc, pa.icc
>

> So if you work with sRGB colorspace, the suitable camera profiles
> should be fs.icc, ls.icc, ns.icc (*s.icc for sRGB), and so on. Copy
> them to /usr/share/color/icc under Linux and configure the path and
> preferred input profile on the Color Settings setup tab. These
> profiles are *not* identical to standard sRGB or Adobe RGB, they are
> specific to the camera model. This can be the reason you see the
> picture differently with/without color management.

Would you mind emailing me any pair of the profiles provided by Canon?
(Eg. fs.icc and fa.icc)

I wonder, how these are different. Generally, selecting the colour space
in the camera should not affect the RAW file (because it is raw data),
but it should affect the JPEG files only or be included in exif maker
notes to tell the vendor software to which colour space the raw should
be converted.

P.S. BTW, use of Canon's profiles may not be the best option since these
profiles were built for Canon's software, not for digiKam's raw
converter. However, if the output is satisfactory, it is better than
nothing.

Thanks,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz