[Digikam-users] Digikam file management

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Jul 30 13:24:10 BST 2009

> As for the 'just use tags' answer: they are just no good if you use
> your photos outside of digikam. I for example use my pictures in
> OpenOffice, Keynote, Hugin, Gimp, Firefox and Safari, SketchUp, Mail,
> iMovie and JOSM (probably forgetting a few). You can't possibly
> implement all that functionality in digikam (a.k.a. 'lets burn cds
> from inside digikam').
>
> Just fooling around: A great way of building a bridge would be a small
> widget-like  application just as a browser into the digikam database
> (with tags and such) which would allow drag-and-drop like from a
> filesystem browser into external programms. (Don't take that too
> seriously. It's not a feature request or anything.)

You can drag from digikam to any place that accepts drags like you do from a
filesystem browser. The problem (which I also encounter sometimes) is that
often e.g. web upload services implemented in Java dont accept normal drags.

Btw, it would a pretty simple job for a KIPI plugin to "Create folder with
symlinks" of the current (virtual) album in digikam.

Marcel