[Digikam-users] Digikam file management

Tim Jenness tim.jenness at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:45:47 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Markus Spring <m.spring at gmx.de> wrote:

> Micha? Smoczyk schrieb:
> > stefan at binaervarianz.de wrote:
> >> Does Digikam keep track of multiple copys of the same file and does it
> >> use symlinks to reduce disk space?
> > I think no, it doesn't.
> Myself I have often about the possibility to replace copying by linking and
> would see this as a really important feature.
> Are there any technical reasons against it?

I've wondered about this as well. Many times I create a temporary album and
copy files into it for exporting. Takes a long time to copy all the files in
and then and it takes a lot of disk space.

It would really have to be hard-links to make things easier to track. With a
soft link you have to remember which one is the primary file and if someone
deletes that from the album you need to change all the soft links and make
one of them into a file. Much more painful than letting the file system keep
track (although I imagine you still have problems with keeping the database
metadata in sync).

I'm not sure whether hard links are portable to windows though or if KDE
gives you access to them.

Tim