[Digikam-users] Digikam rotation is incomprehensible to me

Julian Sorrel tacitdynamite at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 22:00:01 BST 2009

I have a little bit more specific information now.

On the camera that DOESN'T have autorotation, if the image is rotated 90* counterclockwise (270* clockwise) from normal (and therefore needs 90* clockwise rotation to be normal), then the following is the only way I've found to get it rotated in the image AND thumbnail AND file:

1.) Image > Adjust Orientation Tag > Rotated Right
[image now looks correct in thumbnail AND image BUT NOT file]
2.) Image > Auto Rotate/Flip Using Exif Information
[image now looks 270* clockwise from normal in image AND thumbnail AND file]
3.) Image > Adjust Orientation Tag > Normal
[image now looks correct in thumbnail AND image BUT NOT file]
2.) Image > Auto Rotate/Flip Using Exif Information
[image now looks correct in thumbnail AND image AND file]

Please note that I have the flowing checked:

Settings > Configure digiKam > Metadata > Show thumbnails flipped/rotated according to orientation flag

and the following unchecked:

Settings > Configure digiKam > Metadata > Set orientation tag to normal after rotate/flip
.