[Digikam-users] lots of photos and startup time

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Jul 9 11:29:30 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:16:08PM +0200, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> On Thursday 09 July 2009 10:37:13, Andi Clemens wrote:
> >
> > Daniel,
> > how many items  / images do you have in your database?
> > In my current test collection, I have 200.000, but my database is only
> > 180MB big.
> >
> > Maybe yours is really corrupted (or has a lot of old entries, that you
> > might need to delete manually).
> >
> > If you have less images, you could try to remove all entries from the table
> > "images" that have a status of 3 (deleted).
>
> Hi Andi,
>
> As I cleaned up my laptop last week there are now only the actual 9086 image
> files in digikam. The db file is 1.6 MB. But please keep in mind that I still
> use digikam 0.9.3.
>
> However, after a reboot, starting digikam takes 66 seconds until the splash
> screen appears and then another 10 seconds to appear the album.
>
> At home (with many, many more images) it takes much longer, so that I start it
> and then go and have a coffee. This applies only to the *first* start of
> digikam, later starts are much faster.
>
> I also have a kde4-digikam 0.10.0.The splash screen appeard immediately - and
> styed there for 28 Minutes untill  I killed the process, renamed digikam4.db
> and restartet 0.10.0.. It shows me that it imports/updates the database...
> After 21 minutes it's is finally here.... One reason I decided to stay with
> the old version....
>
> The new digikam4.db is 4.5 MB.
>
> in the 0.9.3 images table there is no field called "status"...

I have something over 20000 images in my digikam and the digikam4.db
is something like 17Mb.  I've just moved to xubuntu 9.04 which has
digikam version 0.10.0.

Starting up the *first* time in xubuntu 9.04 took a minute or so (I
didn't time it), starting up subsequently, even on a clean, just
rebooted, system takes around ten seconds.

This is on an Intel quad core based system with (if I remember right)
8Gb of memory.

--
Chris Green