[Digikam-users] lots of photos and startup time

Jacek Poplawski jacekpoplawski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 10:37:54 BST 2009

Hello,

I use Digikam to organize my photo collection and manage all the photos, the
main problem is startup time. I have more than 20.000 photos on disk. Well
in fact I have even more if I include archives from last years. But I put
only these 20.000 in Digikam collections.

When I start Digikam it takes _minutes_, if I just want to find one single
photo I need to wait few minutes first. Or use different application like
geeqie (I store photos as RAW files, but geeqie knows how to show them).

I disabled checking for new files at startup but still it takes lots of time
to just read the database.
Picasa doesn't have this problem.

Is it a bug? Should I just put less files in Digikam collections and
organize them by file manager instead Digikam?

--
Free Software - find interesting programs and change them
NetHack - meet interesting creatures, kill them and eat their bodies