[Digikam-users] Folder structure

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Jan 28 18:05:15 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:26:18PM -0500, Brendan wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Chris G wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:23:09AM +0100, Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:
> > > Hey all
> > >
> > > I'm a new user of Digikam (and DSLR for that matter too) and found it
> > > very easy to use but sure there still much to learn :-)
> > >
> > > I'm wondering, how do you organize your pictures on a folder level? Do
> > > you use dates and handle everything within Digikam or do you create a
> > > folder for every event and handle the rest inside Digikam.
> >
> > It surely depends on *you* and how you want things to look. :-)
> >
> > Personally I have my pictures arranged in a hierarchy of decades,
> > years etc.  E.g. I have:-
> >
> > pictures
> >     1980s
> >         1980
> >             Aug - Arrive in Oman
> >             Dec - Barbecue at Qawr Yenkit 4th Dec
> >             Dec - Boxing Day at RaH
> >             Dec - Christmas day at RaH
> >             Feb - Chester Zoo
> >             Feb - Pettypool Wood
> >             Jan - Barnet and Hertford
> >             June - Irish holiday
> >             March - Zelma's christening
> >             Nov - National day, 18th November
> >             Nov - Qurm Heights house on Ben's Birthday
> >             Nov - RAH beach, parties, etc.
> >             Oct - Desert trips, RAH, etc.
> >             Oct - Khawr Yenqit
> >             Oct - Ras al Hadd "Turtle Beach"
> >         1981
> >     1990s
> >         1990
> >

> > The only problem with this (which you can see above) is that Digikam
> > arranges the folders alphabetically just like the default ls sort does
> > (which is how I got the above list).  I have a patched version of
> > Digikam which arranges folders in date order (that's the Digikam date
> > for the folder) so if I set the date in the folder properties in
> > digikam I get the folders with month names in the right order.
>
> This could be solved by naming in ISO format: 20080901 - Trip to Susan's.

Yes, I know, but it's not very beautiful nor is is very non-computer
user friendly.

There's a bug raised for it - Bug 156186.

> This is the way I do it, and it works.

I can't really have all my albums at the same level, far too many for
convenience so my year split up makes sense.

Then one is left with either the redundant full YYYYMMDD format or MMDD
which is far from easy to 'read' quickly.  The eye and mind understand
'May' much more quickly than '05' - my mind does anyway!  :-)

--
Chris Green