[Digikam-users] Folder structure

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Jan 28 11:15:54 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:23:09AM +0100, Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:
> Hey all
>
> I'm a new user of Digikam (and DSLR for that matter too) and found it
> very easy to use but sure there still much to learn :-)
>
> I'm wondering, how do you organize your pictures on a folder level? Do
> you use dates and handle everything within Digikam or do you create a
> folder for every event and handle the rest inside Digikam.

It surely depends on *you* and how you want things to look. :-)

Personally I have my pictures arranged in a hierarchy of decades,
years etc.  E.g. I have:-

pictures
    1980s
        1980
            Aug - Arrive in Oman
            Dec - Barbecue at Qawr Yenkit 4th Dec
            Dec - Boxing Day at RaH
            Dec - Christmas day at RaH
            Feb - Chester Zoo
            Feb - Pettypool Wood
            Jan - Barnet and Hertford
            June - Irish holiday
            March - Zelma's christening
            Nov - National day, 18th November
            Nov - Qurm Heights house on Ben's Birthday
            Nov - RAH beach, parties, etc.
            Oct - Desert trips, RAH, etc.
            Oct - Khawr Yenqit
            Oct - Ras al Hadd "Turtle Beach"
        1981
    1990s
        1990

The only problem with this (which you can see above) is that Digikam
arranges the folders alphabetically just like the default ls sort does
(which is how I got the above list).  I have a patched version of
Digikam which arranges folders in date order (that's the Digikam date
for the folder) so if I set the date in the folder properties in
digikam I get the folders with month names in the right order.

--
Chris Green