[Digikam-users] 'Album-less' digikam?

Yannick Le Teigner yannick.leteigner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:22:01 GMT 2009

Hi,

I wrote a small and very basic application to manage my photo collection. I
don't use albums, but only use tags to organize my images. My application
automatically puts the images in the correct destination folder based on the
image's date (i.e. /rootfolder/2008/11/20).
Since I don't have an album concept, I display only 50 images at a time, and
use prev/next buttons to paginate through my collection.
Advantage is that I only need to worry about tags, I don't need to worry
about Albums and directory structure on disk.

Is it possible to apply a similar process to managing images in Digikam?
I could use only one album, but I have some concerns:
- Digikam display by default all the images in the selected album, could
that impact performance for very large (unique) album?
- Similarly, all the images would be put on the same location on the hard
drive, could that be a performance issue for some FS?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yannick