[Digikam-users] How to perform a simple search?

Paul Waldo paul at waldoware.com
Tue Jan 6 19:40:43 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I want to perform some simple searching activity using Digikam 0.9.4,
but it seems overly complicated.  I'm probably missing a key point, so
it's likely my fault :-)

The first scenario is that I want to search for a keyword.  I open up
the Search dialog with Tools|Search and then enter my keyword.  I see
images; great!  Now comes the confusing point; I can't *do* anything
with the images.  I would think that I would be able to do things like
	* edit the image,
	* view its metadata, or
	* open the album that contains the image.

Unfortunately, my only option is to save the search.  Now, this is just
a one-off search, not something I will be performing over and over, so
there is no need to save the search for the long-term.  I would assume
that "Last Search" (or "Junk") could be overwritten, yet I get the "Name
Exists" dialog that tells me the search name already exists.  Now I'm
stuck with a Search that needs to be deleted.

The next scenario is showing all the images with a particular Rating.  I
have created and saved an advanced search called "3 Stars or Better",
but now I need to create similar searches for 1, 2, 4 and 5 stars.  Talk
about clutter...  Ugh!

Hopefully someone has some tips that will make this kind of work a
little easier.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

Paul