[Digikam-users] suddenly cannot choose a monitor profile in settings

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Sat Dec 26 18:32:41 GMT 2009

Mark Greenwood píše v Út 22. 12. 2009 v 15:57 +0000:
> > > On a Mac I choose 2 profiles in the system settings and it's all
> > >  done. On Linux it appears I need to be able to write a thesis on
> > >  colour management. Why does it need to be so hard?
> >
> > It is not as easy as for a Mac but not that hard either. As I said
> > before, you need three steps:
> > - Install argyllcms
> > - at first time run dispwin -I /path/to/profile.icc
> > - at every login run dispwin -L
>
> This is one reason why I say it's hard. It's very non-obvious to
> someone like me how I get a script to run every time I log in. Also
> how am I supposed to know that I need this application called
> 'argyllcms'? It's not something you average user ever wants to take an
> interest in, or should need to know about - colour management is
> complex enough without having half the answer made up of random extra
> bits of software. From what I can see here there's a lot of work still
> to do to get Colour Management working usefully on Linux. I think I
> will just disable it for now.

There are projects aiming to simplify the matter for an ordinary user:

GNOME Color Manager (tends to be more user friendly)
http://projects.gnome.org/gnome-color-manager/

Oyranos: (a bit more full-feature project - more of "backend" type to be
used by GUI tools inside KDE/GNOME/...)
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oyranos

I do not know about KDE, though.

Regards,