[Digikam-users] Idea for getting in camera quality jpeg conversions... was Re: Building a better raw conversion tool for digiKam ?

Francisco Lorés Ara plores at telefonica.net
Thu Dec 24 16:01:27 GMT 2009

Maybe, but Gábor Horváth (RawTherapee's main developer) wants first to make
some money from it through donations (life in Hungary is not always that easy,
he says), and/or have no more time to maintain it. At that point the software
will be GPLed

Regards

Francisco

On Jueves, 24 de Diciembre de 2009, Linuxguy123  wrote:
On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 11:17 +0100, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2009 schrieb Milan Knížek:
> > Linuxguy123 píše v St 23. 12. 2009 v 19:51 -0700:
> > > I did a lot of reading and this might work.  But generating color
> > > profiles using an IT8.7 target and using a raw converter that
> > > supports the use of color profiles is the ultimate answer.
> >
> > Do not get mistaken - using the colorimetric approach only will
> >  result in good (hopefully) colours, which is not what the camera
> >  does (convert colours with preference of skin-tones, green, etc.,
> >  adjust tone curve, saturation). A photographer usually wants to
> >  get pleasing (good looking) images, not high-fidelity images.
>
> I think it is a little bit more than that. With such a ICC file you
> get a exact (within the limits of the sensor) copy of the scene,
> including gamma, curve and saturation correction to get it. From a
> technical point of view this is the best you can get.
>
> What you don't get are the emotions in the picture. For this you have
> to adjust several parameters, and sometimes you will add stuff you
> normally avoid to get (like false colours and noise).
>
> But as a base this work-flow may be the best start. I am still trying
> several ways to get the best out of my pictures. And it does not make
> much sense to fix some green (or red or blue) colour in your picture
> if you don't use a colour managed environment. This includes the
> printing stuff as well. Sadly most print labs don't offer colour
> management (at least here in Germany).

Costco does here in Calgary.  They rock, actually.

> It would be great if ufraw gets this settings. As RawTherapee will
> become GPLed software, the developer may take a look at it. This
> software has some really fine features.

Is RawTherapee going to be GPL'd ?