[Digikam-users] Idea for getting in camera quality jpeg conversions... was Re: Building a better raw conversion tool for digiKam ?

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Thu Dec 24 08:59:39 GMT 2009

Linuxguy123 píše v St 23. 12. 2009 v 19:51 -0700:

> I did a lot of reading and this might work.  But generating color
> profiles using an IT8.7 target and using a raw converter that supports
> the use of color profiles is the ultimate answer.

Do not get mistaken - using the colorimetric approach only will result
in good (hopefully) colours, which is not what the camera does (convert
colours with preference of skin-tones, green, etc., adjust tone curve,
saturation). A photographer usually wants to get pleasing (good looking)
images, not high-fidelity images.

The ICC profile will do only the first step and unless you use an ICC
profile editor to store the manual adjustments in the profile, the other
corrections are to be done in image editor manually...

With UFRaw, you have better chances for automation, since you can adjust
linear curve (before gamma is applied), lightness curve (in L*a*b* space
after gamma/ICC profile is applied), saturation and keep these settings
for later use.

However, you still do not have the possibility of unique colour
adjustments (e.g. make skin tones warmer and do not affect too much the
other colours).

Regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz