[Digikam-users] How does digiKam do raw conversions for the slide shows ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 20:10:37 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 17:08 +0000, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> There's no "easy" way to get good results from RAW, you need to put in
> the effort to 'develop' each shot yourself. With practice you'll soon
> be getting *better* results than the images in the slideshow.

Yeah, I know that.  I'm looking for an automatic way to get those
results.

> However, all that said, I've found that the tools in Digikam sometimes
> don't cope very well with RAW files

Workflow wise, they are GREAT.  Results wise, very poor.

> - you need accurate icc colour profiles for your camera, for one
> thing.

There seems to be some debate about that.

Furthermore, one can get the icc curve- if its in there- from the raw
file using exiftool.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

> Most people seem to like ufraw for RAW processing, and it does seem to
> give more "accurate" results than Digikam does.

I hate to say it, but I agree.  Not that there is anything wrong with
ufraw, it just isn't supported in digiKam.

So what should we do about this problem ?  Fix the converter that
digiKam uses or write a plugin that allows the use of ufraw ?