[Digikam-users] How does digiKam do raw conversions for the slide shows ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:25:43 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 18:14 +0100, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2009/12/23 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com>:
> > On Wednesday 23 Dec 2009 16:59:45 Linuxguy123 wrote:
> >>
> >> How does digiKam generate the images for the raw files it displays in
> >> the slide shows ?   How could I easily generate jpegs that look as good
> >> as the images in the slideshow ?
> >>

> > I would assume that for the slideshow Digikam is using the embedded
> JPEG data from the RAW file and not the RAW data. You can extract the
> embedded JPEG using exiftool (though I forget how, try googling it)

Thanks for the tip.

>  but that really defeats the object of using RAW. When you use RAW you
> are expected to do all the white balance etc adjustments yourself. The
> embedded JPEG has the camera's built-in adjustments already applied.
> If you're going to use the embedded JPEG you may as well just shoot
> JPEG in the first place.

Thanks for the explanation about raws.  I never would have known that
from shooting over 20,000 of them and converting them to jpegs.

> Yes, it use JPEG preview. Fast and usefull...

Are you serious/ sure this is the case ?  I always thought the preview
jpegs were thumbnails.  I displayed the slideshow images on a 52" LCD TV
at 1920x1080.  There was no way they were thumbnails.