[Digikam-users] Exposure Blending tool finalization...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 20:57:48 GMT 2009

2009/12/22 Laurent Espitallier <laurent.espitallier at laposte.net>:
> Le 21/12/2009 16:24, Gilles Caulier a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since few day, i working hard to create a new tool to make pseudo HDR image.
>>
>> After some try with QtPfsGui code imported and improved as a new
>> kipi-plugins (code is in my home dir from KDE svn), I never give a
>> right result as HDR creation and Tonemapping. QtPfsGui code is very
>> very very experiemental. Only one time, i create successfully an HDR
>> image without artefact. This is not enough for me/
>>
>> I cannot understand why users said that QtPfsGui is a good program.
>> Please, if you fell that i'm wrong let's me hear. Perhaps i have a
>> simple view of programmer, but at least code speak about : I lost one
>> week to review and fix this code to be suitable, readable, and
>> maintainable.
>>
>> It's a shame to writte code like this... but it's another story...
>>
>> So, after to be tired to play with QtPfsGui code, i thinking to take
>> another way : Enfuse.
>>
>> The idea is simple :
>>
>> 1/ Define a stack of bracketed images.
>> 2/ If Raw images, convert it to TIFF 16 bits with auto-gamma.
>> 3/ Auto Align stack with Hugin auto_align_stack command line program.
>> 4/ Start pseudo-HDR editor, the famous Enfuse frontend designed by me (:=)))
>>
>> All is done, excepted step 2, partially implemented. Tool is currently
>> suitable with all other images formats as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc...
>>
>> You need to install Hugin and Enblend project to your computer before
>> to use this new tool.
>>
>> Now the screenshots... Champagne please !
>>
>> 1/ The tool is available in digiKam Tools menu :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2657/4203352088_78f8025d41_o.png
>>
>> 2/ The first stage of the tool is an assistant :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4203352164_388c23be82_o.png
>>
>> 3/ You need first to set-up bracketed images stack :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/4203352256_91dd0dbd55_o.png
>>
>> 4/ After that tool is ready to process auto alignment of stack :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2629/4202593315_7bd8a6fe66_o.png
>>
>> 5/ Auto-Alignment can be long... so, take a cup of Champagne to be patient :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2596/4203352414_edc73d4d8d_o.png
>>
>> 6/ "Et Voil�". Auto-Alignment is done. Aligned images are save to temp
>> TIFF files :
>>
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4203352494_49704b8972_o.png
>>
>> 7/ And now, the best for the end... Let's go to fuse bracketed images :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2496/4203352570_b30255d05b_o.png
>>
>> 8/ Enfuse take a while too, depending of options used... At least,
>> result is great (:=))) :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761/4202593625_e03a4d8256_o.png
>>
>> My TODO List :
>>
>> - Move this tool from my home KDE svn dir to trunk to be available in
>> kipi-plugins 1.1. I will do it soon.
>> - Add Raw support.
>> - Add a stack of processed images in Enfuse Gui. Selecting one items
> [...]

Hum...

I will take a look... and ... test.

Here i use a huge bracketed image collection in RAW and JPEG, taken in
different conditions.

If QtPfsGui is not able to import as HDR and tonemap image as LDR
without to introduce artifacts, colors distorsions, and other joy of
this experimental code, why not.

But as i already see indeep code, i'm can said in advance... no...

Also, QtPfsGui is clearly unsuitable as well... To much complicated
for end users.

Anyway, as i already rewritted a part of QtPfsgui with ExpoBlending
with import wizard (Raw convert, auto-alignment), if i found suitable
code from QtPfsGui to make HDR and perform tonemapping, i can provide
an option at last wizard page to select enfuse or an HDR editor...

Gilles