[Digikam-users] suddenly cannot choose a monitor profile in settings

Guenther Erhard guenther.erhard at gmx.de
Tue Dec 22 20:51:38 GMT 2009

> > It is not as easy as for a Mac but not that hard either. As I said
> > before, you need three steps:
> > - Install argyllcms
> > - at first time run dispwin -I /path/to/profile.icc
> > - at every login run dispwin -L
>
> This is one reason why I say it's hard. It's very non-obvious to someone
>
> like me how I get a script to run every time I log in. Also how am I
> supposed to know that I need this application called 'argyllcms'? It's
> not something you average user ever wants to take an interest in, or
> should need to know about - colour management is complex enough without
> having half the answer made up of random extra bits of software. From
> what I can see here there's a lot of work still to do to get Colour
> Management working usefully on Linux. I think I will just disable it
> for now.

You don't need to install argyllcms if you have already an ICC profile
for your monitor (e.g. created with a spyder hardware tool under Windows
or MAC).

You just need your *.icc or *.icm file and copy it to a directory. Then
you can load it with "xcalib /path_to_file/monitor.icc" at the start of
X11 (e.g. put a script into ~/.kde/autostart). For this you just need to
install xcalib which is a no-brainer (rpm for different distros are
available).

What makes me angry is that before this software change was made the
installation of argyllcms was not always necessary. With xcalib and
selecting the profile in digiKam prefs it worked perfectly. Now everyone
has to go through the hard way until the distros implement an easy
solution. :-(

Why is it not possible to override the behaviour?

Guenther