[Digikam-users] suddenly cannot choose a monitor profile in settings

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 22 18:51:26 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 22 Dec 2009 18:34:01 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 schrieb Marcel Wiesweg:
> > > My monitor gamma and colour temperature is already factory
> > > calibrated to sRGB. What I used to do was simply select my
> > > working colour space (wide gamut) and my monitor colour space
> > > (sRGB) in digikam. Now I cannot do this.
> > >
> > > This stuff is FAR too complicated. I had it working for me but
> > > now a software change has stopped that from working.
> > >
> > > On a Mac I choose 2 profiles in the system settings and it's all
> > > done. On Linux it appears I need to be able to write a thesis on
> > > colour management. Why does it need to be so hard?
> >
> > You're quite right about the system settings part here. Indeed,
> >  there should be a tab in the system settings allowing you to
> >  specify a monitor profile. This should then be loaded at start of
> >  X server and provided to application via the X atom method
> >  outlined above.
> >
> > _All this is outside the scope of digikam_
>
> Yes, this is definitly outside the scope of digiKam. But there are so
> many myths about CM that sometimes it is good to draw a big picture.
>

> > Digikam comes in when trying to find a monitor profile. If it finds
> >  one specified by X, it will use it. I don't come up with a usecase
> >  where this should not be done. Thus, the combo box is greyed out.
> >
> > So the bug is twofold:
> > 1) Distributions should package and install per default a tool to
> >  load a monitor profile (argyllcms appears to be unpackagable
> >  though) and at least an sRGB and an AdobeRGB-compatbible profile
> >  (if the Adobe profile package cannot be installed per default due
> >  to license restrictions, dont know) 2) KDE system settings should
> >  provide the settings panel.
>
> At least Fedora 11 has an argyllcms package, so it must be packagable.

Yeah there's an argyllcms package in Ubuntu too. So far however I haven't found an sRGB monitor profile that it can load without reporting some kind of error :(

I agree that this is outside the scope of Digikam, however it's a discussion topic that is only ever likely to come up on this kind of list. So how do we make it move outside this list and into the hands of the people who can solve it? This seems to me to be where the organisation around KDE ought to be able to make a difference. But can it?

Mark