[Digikam-users] suddenly cannot choose a monitor profile in settings

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 22 14:16:40 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 22 Dec 2009 13:53:49 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 schrieb Mark Greenwood:

> > > The data is not stored in environment variables but as property
> > > in X11. For the dispwin tool the configuration is set in
> > > ~/.config/color.jcnf. My data is set as:
> > >
> > >   "devices": {
> > >     "display": {
> > >       "1": {
> > >         "EDID":
> > > "0x00FFFFFFFFFFFF0015C37916010101010C0E0102681E1778EAA415A5544897
> > >250F5054BFEE000101010101010101010101010101010164190040410026301888
> > >360030E410000018000000FF004B353134333033340A20202020000000FD00374C
> > >183D08000A202020202020000000FC004C3336370A20202020202020200022",
> > > "ICC_PROFILE":
> > > "/home/blablub/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display/eizo.icc"
> > >       },
> > >       "2": {
> > >         "NAME": ":0.0",
> > >         "ICC_PROFILE":
> > > "/home/blablub/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display/dell-L.icc"
> > >       }
> > >     }
> > >   }
> > >
> > > If I load color profile (dispwin -L) the one for my current
> > > display is loaded (here dell-L.icc) the eizo.icc I used with my
> > > old monitor.

> > > I don't know xcalib, but it must do something similar.
> >
> > Now I'm even more confused. I have never heard of xcalib or
> >  dispwin.
> >
> > I have a monitor profile for my monitor and I want Digikam to use
> >  it. What is all this config files and load at startup of X11
> >  nonsense?
>
> Sorry Mark, this is no nonsens. for a colour managed environment you
> have to calibrate and profile your monitor. Usually this results in a
> icc or icm file.
>
> The calibration stuff is loaded usually at login time. This sets your
> Gamma curve (and colour temperature) to what you have set up your icc
> profile to (I have a L-Star gamma and a colour temperature of about
> 6500K - my native display colour).
>
> The profile stuff is done by the application (digiKam, Gimp or UFRaw).
> So you have to either set it manually in every application or you can
> use the system wide profile (which is the one you loaded at login).
> This makes sure that red in sRBG is displayed ecactly as the same red
> as in AdobeRGB or eciRGB (as long as they are in the available range -
> called Gamut).

Thanks for replying - I understand colour managemnt (or I thought I did) and I have an icc colour profile for my monitor. What I don't get is why I need to load it twice - once at startup and then again in Digikam. Logically and intuitively this implies to me that I am now getting the colour adjustments twice - once by the system once by Digikam - and that therefore the colours displayed will be wrong.

My monitor gamma and colour temperature is already factory calibrated to sRGB. What I used to do was simply select my working colour space (wide gamut) and my monitor colour space (sRGB) in digikam. Now I cannot do this.

This stuff is FAR too complicated. I had it working for me but now a software change has stopped that from working.

On a Mac I choose 2 profiles in the system settings and it's all done. On Linux it appears I need to be able to write a thesis on colour management. Why does it need to be so hard?

Mark