[Digikam-users] Relative synchronised panning - was Images not visible on Light Table

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Sun Dec 20 22:36:38 GMT 2009

For some reason I became obsessed with trying to compile the latest RC instead of trying KDE 4.3.3.  I just did that, after spending quite a few hours on the former, and the Light Table works fine with KDE 4.3.3 under Windows.

Now that it's working, I find it has an ideosynchrasy that is slightly annoying.

I like to compare similar photos of birds side by side, zooming in on the eye of each one to see which is focused better.  For this I use synchronised zooming, but because each photo has the bird in a slightly different position, I need to use unsynchronised panning to get each eye in the middle.

The procedure is to synchronised zoom until the eyes fall outside the windows, then turn off synchronisation, pan each eye to the middle, turn on synchronisation, then zoom some more.  But as soon as I turn synchronisation on again, the panning of the right image is set to match that of the left, and the eye is off the screen again.

I can get around it my doing all the zooming before I pan.  But if I then need to compare another part of the bird, say the tail, I need to pan them both individually.  It would be faster if I could pan them together.

I've used several programs that don't rest the panning like this, e.g. ZoomBrowser, Lightroom and some others.  They reset the zooming when synch mode is enabled, but not the panning.  Panning becomes synchronised, but it's relative, not absolute.

Is there a way around this with the current version?  If not, does anyone else feel this needs fixing?

I can see that for very similar images, absolute pan synching is useful.  I wonder if the solution is to make the behaviour optional.  This could be done by adding a button to make pan synchronisation absolute or relative.

I can see a similar button for zooming being useful too, where one is comparing images taken at different focal lengths.