[Digikam-users] Color Management and RAW/NEF files

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 14 20:48:56 GMT 2009

On Monday 14 Dec 2009 18:05:12 Milan Knížek wrote:
> Mark Greenwood píše v So 12. 12. 2009 v 18:39 +0000:
> > Please will somebody explain to me what is going on when I try to import my NEF files into Digikam? I've read all the information I can, but I cannot understand how Digikam expects the workflow to occur and I seem to be getting random results.
> >
> > I'm using digiKam on Kubuntu 9.10. Digikam reports its version as rc..-rc, apt says I have version 2:1.0.0~rc
> > My settings are as follows:
> > Image Editor - 'Use Raw Import Tool to handle RAW Images' is disabled
> > All settings under 'RAW Decoding' are set to the defaults
> To begin with, try to disable 16bit and check that "auto brightness" is
> on.
> > Working colour space is set to SRGB
> > When the profile of an image does not match the working colour space - 'Ask when opening the image'
> > When an image has no colour profile information - 'Ask when opening the image'
> > When loading a RAW file with uncalibrated colours - 'Convert it from the default input profile'
> Try to set "Automatic Color Correction".
> > Monitor Profile is set to sRGB
> If you get a reasonable picture, then try to change the options one by
> one.

Thanks to all who replied. I've found that the best results are obtained by disabling Colour Management completely.

For the record, I've discovered that, at least with NEF files, the Nikon software creates an icm profile on the fly, and it is different for every single NEF file. Hence copying icm files from the Nikon software is a non-starter.

However with colour management disabled I'm now able to get results comparable to those achievable with Bibble, just by using Digikam.

Mark