[Digikam-users] Difficulties compiling from tarball

Frank H. Baker frank.h.baker at verizon.net
Mon Dec 14 19:09:06 GMT 2009

As a newcomer to digiKam I have been trying to install a tarball of
digikam-1.0.0-beta5 on a Ubuntu 8.04 system and have run into problems
with cmake, which gives error messages from its use of CMakeLists, e.g.
"INSTALL PROGRAMS given no DESTINATION".  CMakeLists has four lines of
the form

  install( PROGRAMS digitaglinktree DESTINATION ${BIN_INSTALL_DIR} )

I have no previous experience with cmake and have no understanding what
is going on here or what to expect, though the last argument does look
like a reference to a shell variable, but it is not in my environment.

I am also working with digiKam on a MS Windows XP sp3 system and have
encountered a number of problems with 1.0.0-beta5 in my initial
explorations, beginning with Album.  Are there known problems with that
combination?

Many thanks for any help you can provide me on either of these two
matters.

Frank Baker
Baltimore