[Digikam-users] Color Management and RAW/NEF files

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 09:11:00 GMT 2009

I have a lots of NEF files there to test and opening in editor with
RAW Import tool is suitable. I don't use CM and i work in 16 bits
color depth.

preview : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4181154142_3c26153464_b.jpg
raw import : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/4181153432_194912f328_b.jpg
image editor : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/4181153828_6bc51f3d2d_b.jpg

Using wrong ICC color profile in CM will give wrong results...

I know that Ufraw use NEF curves adjustments from file metadata. I'm
not sure if libraw used by digiKam to play with RAW file do the same
automatically.

Anyway, RAW require manual adjustments. In others way use JPEG...

Other important point : preview is JPEG embedded from RAW file and
fully pre-processed by camera. It's not RAW image ! This is why you
cannot see the same result in RAW import...

Gilles Caulier