[Digikam-users] Offline Collections

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 27 20:24:52 BST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Marcel Wiesweg at 03/04/09 22:05 did gyre and gimble:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I have a Collection on a network share that digikam 0.10 catalogs just
>  > fine but when I disconnect from the network, that collection is no
>  > longer visible in digikam !
>  >
>  > It is my understanding that all the meta-data and thumbnails are stored
>  > in my local sqlite database so I expected to be able to navigate in that
>  > collection, see the thumbnails and make searches even if I'm offline !
>  >
>  > Isn't it possible ? It would be great to be able to know what you have
>  > in your photo collection at home, even when working on a laptop
>  > somewhere else !
>

> It's possible but not implemented.
> We have to figure out how to store thumbnails for remote media yet (they
> not stored in the db but in your home dir following a freedesktop
> standard that knows nothing about removable media)

This would be totally supported with the work I started (and then did
very little with) at the last KDE Imaging coding sprint using Akonadi.

I do intend to go back to this at some point but am totally swamped with
other projects.

Akonadi will provide the necessary framework for syncing, caching,
tagging and querying remote collections.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie