[Digikam-users] Cannot see photos in Digikam: suspect libmarble conflict

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:30:15 BST 2009

2009/8/27 Tobias Schula <tobias at schula.org>:
> Am Donnerstag 27 August 2009 08:55:26 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
>
>> We have now updated the system again, and Digikam 1.0.0 beta3 is
>> installed. Once again, we cannot see the photos. However, this time I
>> am unable to downgrade libmarble: doing so removes digikam.
>> Additionally, I cannot seem to reinstall digikam without upgrading
>> libmarble first. What can we do?
>
> Why don't you just update your libmarble?

I did try that, but it is the upgraded version of libmarble that
prevents us from seeing the pictures in Digikam. See this post, in
which some guy named "Tobias Schula" :) correctly suggests that I
downgrade libmarble to see the photos:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/2009-June/007738.html

> I also installed KDE 4.3 from the
> kubuntu backports ppa and I can see pictures in the digikam packaged. Did you
> run digikam in gdb to see which component is causing the problem?

I don't even know how to do that. Let's see, I run gbd, type
"digikam", and what then?

>> After fighting with this, I also installed the digikam-experimental
>> PPA but since it does not provide libmarble it did not make any
>> difference in our ability to see the photos:
>> https://launchpad.net/~digikam-experimental/+archive/ppa
>
> This ppa is terribly outdated, you better delete it.

I see that in the post I mentioned earlier that even then you
suggested to not use that PPA. I will disable it again, but it was not
the problem as the problem occured _before_ I added it (adding it was
an attempt at a solution).

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen