[Digikam-users] KDE 4.3.0 and Digikam 10.0

Simon Oosthoek somlist at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 9 22:57:17 BST 2009

Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> On Friday 07 August 2009 13:54:07 Albrecht Will wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>> I'm new here because before KDE 4.2 I had only a few problems using
>>  digikam. Under 4.2 I was very distressed because of flickering thumbnails.
>>  So I hoped there would be an end when I'm using KDE 4.3.
>> Yesterday I installed Kubuntu 9.04 again and upgreaded to KDE 4.3.0. First
>>  at all I stored my files and copied it later back. But I cannot see any
>>  picture. So I tried some variations, for example starting Digikam with an
>>  empty directory, ore copying the complete content in a directory and then
>>  starting Digikam. No sucess.
>> What could I have done wrong?
>>

> You, nothing. Kubuntu did. Yes, I know, we should be one, happy, Open Source
> family and avoid harsh words, but when I see how many people were affected by
> this and causing them distress - "I lost my photos!"...
>
> Due to kio-slaves architecture  they have to be *very* binary compatible.
> Kubuntu didn't recompile digiKam and dependencies against kdelibs they
> distribute and this is the effect.

Hmm, I'm probably affected by this as well...

But it might help if this was communicated to the responsible person who
provides the 4.3.0 build in a ppa for ubuntu. A simple measure would be
to add the digikam packages, rebuilt against 4.3.0, to that repository.
Not the most desirable, but since digikam and kde are part of one big
family (in my view anyway), this would not be too strange either...

/Simon