[Digikam-users] label data for images

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Wed Apr 29 09:14:29 BST 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 09:03:14 pm George Shuklin wrote:
> 28.04.09, 19:40, "Mikolaj Machowski" <mikmach at wp.pl>:
> > On Tuesday 28 April 2009 01:38:20 George Shuklin wrote:
> > > Where digikam store data about labels for images? After small time of
> > > use I start to feel at as important data...
> >
> > By labels you mean "comments"? Primarily in database and there is option
> > to store it as EXIF/IPTC/XMP comment field.
> > m.
>
> No, i'm talking about label. Labels can be put by right click and selecting
> "create label" (or it is a "tag"? - I use a localized version).
>
> I try to put label (tag?) to image and made his copy - new file does not
> contain a label, so it stored not within file, but in digikam database.
> Where this database stored?
The database is stored (digikam.db) in the root folder of your photographs,
but don't worry about it.

When you copy an image with digikam, all metadata including all tags are
copied to the new image. If you copy with another program like Gimp, this is
not necessarily the case.

Go to the settings of digikam to the metadata section, there you can specify
if metadata shall only be kept in the database or if it should as well be
stored in the image as Mikolaj said.

Gerhard